SWU and the British Association of Social Workers (BASW), in partnership with Bath Spa University, are leading a campaign for improved working conditions for social workers.
This research into the working conditions of social workers was first launched in June 2017 and this growing body of research is now the largest investigation of social worker working conditions and wellbeing ever conducted. Over 5,000 social workers have contributed with details of their work circumstances and views about their jobs.
SWU and BASW launched the Social Worker Wellbeing and Working Conditions Good Practice Toolkit in June 2020 which was produced from this research and is free to download.
SWU and BASW continue to speak out in the media on the issue of working conditions for social workers.
Support the campaign
Use this letter template to ask your local MP to pledge their support for social workers and ask for a meeting where you live.
If you are not sure who your MP is, then you can find out here by using your postcode. You can find your MPs email address here too.
Share the campaign flyer in your workplace and with colleagues.
Show your support on social media with the hashtag #UKSocialWork and let us know the action you take.
- Share your good practice and learning for great services.
- Assess your services against the standards for employers of Social Workers across the UK.
- Use the Professional Capabilities Framework (PCF) to develop your teams in England.
- Professional development and wellbeing support – contact BASW [link to: https://www.basw.co.uk/contact] to find out how we can help support your social work leaders, managers and teams.
- Write to the Chancellor, Ministers for Education, Health and CLG requesting that social work is properly funded and resourced to retain the workforce and protect vulnerable children and adults.
- Meet with representatives of the SWU and BASW in your area to hear more about their work lives and understand the work they do with vulnerable people.
- Request a debate or Select Committee inquiry into the impact of cuts on social services.
- Join the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Social Work.
Around the UK
Find out what SASW are doing as part of the campaign.
Find out what BASW Cymru are doing as part of the campaign.
- Use this letter template in English or Welsh to ask your local AM to pledge their support for social workers and ask for a meeting where you live.
- Share the campaign flyer in your workplace and with colleagues – available in English and Welsh
BASW Northern Ireland
Find out what BASW Northern Ireland are doing as part of the campaign.
BASW England launched the 80-20 campaign to improve working conditions for social workers and drive better outcomes for children.