The Social Workers Union (SWU) is an independent Trade Union which is managed by an Executive Committee. The Executive Committee consists of up to ten members comprising of at least one National representative from each nation (Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales), two National Representative from England (due to the membership density), and up to five UK Representatives who may include representatives from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. All representatives are SWU members and social workers.
Executive Committee meeting dates for 2023
- 16 February 2023
- 21 April 2023
- 12 June 2023
- 15 August 2023
- 11 September 2023
- 8 November 2023
Current Members of the Executive Committee
- David Callow – SWU Chair and England Representative
- Angi Naylor – SWU Vice Chair and UK Representative
- Gerard Madden – SWU Treasurer and Northern Ireland Representative
- Malcolm Jordan – SWU Honorary President and UK Representative
- Silvio Gigante – Scotland Representative
- Anna Collins – Wales Representative
- Tina Peterson – England Representative
- James Birchall – UK Representative
- Rebecca Austin – UK Representative
- Ann Marie Hayes – UK Representative
- Chrissie Beatty – UK Representative
- Lewis Roberts – UK Representative
The Social Workers Union Rules and Byelaws 2022
To view the Social Workers Union Rules and Byelaws as amended on 26th September 2022 please click here.
SWU compliments, concerns, and complaints procedure
To view our compliments, concerns and complaints procedure please click here.
SWU Annual General Meeting
The SWU Annual General Meeting (AGM) is held in September every year. Each AGM includes confirming the minutes from the previous year, a report from the SWU General Secretary, Annual Reports and Accounts, Motions from SWU members, any SWU Rule Changes, and any other business.
Details for the SWU AGM 2024 will be available in the new year.
Annual statements to members
As a trade union, SWU is required to publish certain information to conform to the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.
SWU publishes statements to members issued in connection with the union’s annual return as required by Section 32a of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.